2010-2011 Cal Fire Budget, Gov. Schwarzenegger Spared The Rod

The proposed 2010-2011 budget for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, “Cal Fire” has been published. Governor Schwarzenegger was kind to Cal Fire as he has been throughout his two terms. The key to the 2010-2011  budget is the use of funds through the “Emergency Response Initiative”.

From eBudget.ca.gov; The budget includes a reduction of $200 million in General Fund and replacement with revenue generated from a 4.8 percent surcharge on all residential and commercial property insurance statewide.
Beginning in 2011-12, the Emergency Response Initiative will provide funding to enhance the state’s emergency response capabilities, including enhancements for CAL FIRE, the California Emergency Management Agency, the MilitaryDepartment, and assistance to local first response agencies in support of the state’s mutual aid system.

Infrastructure  improvement outlays seem extremely generous. No less than 48 infrastructure improvement projects including relocation or replacement of fire stations, regional headquarters, helitack bases and other facilities are budgeted. I can find nothing in the way of station closing or staff reductions. There might be such references in the budget but I did not see it on the first read.

In fact Resource Management (foresters) will will be funded higher in 2010-2011 than last year.

Fire districts around the country and municipalities within California will be envious. Somehow even as California is sinking in red ink the state’s wildland firefighting force escapes unscathed for at least another year.

The one regret, I cannot find a reference to either the DC-10 Supertanker or the Evergreen 747 Supertanker. Surely both will be seen in the sky over the state this Summer.

• RamblingChief says:

Great to see that Governor Schwarzenegger is still showing great support to the mission of CAL FIRE and the citizens of California. Had he not signed the executive order, far fewer aircraft and firefighters would have been available on the McKinley Fire that started earlier today.

• RamblingChief says:

• FirefighterBlog says:

Well HELLO Kate! The blog has missed your presence. This comment platform is not my first choice however spam is way down so I cannot complain.
    Thank you for the comment and your efforts trying to get through.

• bigsurkate says:

I think I have finally figured out how to post a comment, FFB! I just have to reply to a current comment. I am glad to see that FF is avoiding any serious budget cuts. I've heard that my arena is also, but that doesn't mean I will get paid during the budget stalemate, if one occurs.

I am saddened to see RPS's post. My experience w/ FF from ANY agency have always been very positive. As you say, without the history, it is hard to say what happened. Truth often lies in between the two sides of any issue.

• Logan says:

That is a good question.
    I would talk to your boss about it and see if you can get it worked out.

• FirefighterBlog says:

I would talk to the Region Chief. Not knowing your history in this issue I cannot judge. 99.99 percent of the guys and gals I worked with at Cal Fire are stand up people that would never confront a citizen in an unprofessional manner.

• RPS says:

Twice publicly assaulted by Cal Fire employees this week in the LNU.

Going about my daily routine over the past week here in Lake County Ca. where I reside with my family, I've twice been assaulted by two LNU Cal Fire employees. The first instance occurred at the Cobb Mtn. Post Office when I entered and was confronted by former LNU battalion chief BK with F**K you, was threatened by him with bodily injury among other things. The second just yesterday in a parking lot in Loch Lomond, Ca. when upon seeing me current LNU captain TN let loss with a string of profanity. These acts of aggressions arise from an incident in 2009, I'll not go into here.

Both of these State of California employees should at the very least be reprimanded if not stripped of their Jobs and pensions, though I know from experience that will never happen. I'm posting here as well as in other public forums as a form of self-defense. Let the record show that should any harm come to me or anyone associate with me (my home pasted-over in a wildfire or worse firebombed) I've expressed my concerns here and live in fear of retaliation.

A former volunteer firefighter and longtime Cobb resident.

1 Trackback