Kids killed by fire, no working smoke detector

Mass. Fire Kills Five, Three Are Children

Associated Press (October 5, 2004)

DENNIS, Mass. (AP) – A couple and their three children died in a house fire that could have been burning for an hour before a neighbor called authorities.

A neighbor called authorities after noticing “a huge glow” from the fire in a two-story, wood-frame duplex, acting Dennis Fire Chief John Donlan said. Firefighters in the Cape Cod town were unable to immediately enter the duplex because of flames and because a portion of the roof collapsed.

Smoke detectors apparently had not been working, said Jennifer Mieth, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Fire Services. The other side of the duplex was not occupied.

Several media outlets, citing friends and family, identified the victims as Cherie White, 24; Ronald Mero, 29; Nathan Mero, 2; Jordan Mero, 9, Ronald Mero’s son from another relationship; and Destiny Becotte, 5, White’s daughter from another relationship.

1 Comment

  • Icarus says:

    This may be an old post but they never actually proved that any of the smoke detectors were disabled. They were burnt to the point that they cannot say for certain that they were or were not working, maybe fact checking would be a good idea. I knew this family, very well, and it was tragic. All said and done 3 children and their parents, my friends, died, they were not statistics, they were people, good hard working people. To this day the question remains unanswered.